History of St. Peter and Paul Church
Historical sources mention only in 1733 the wooden church of St. Nicholas with one bell. The old-timers claim that before the construction of the church of Peter and Paul, there were two wooden churches in the village, which burned down.
The Peter and Paul Church stands out for its miniature size, which was characteristic of churches in remote settlements. According to legend, the small size of this temple is due to the fact that very few people survived the terrible cholera epidemic in the village. Since then, there has even been a saying: “There are so few people, like a predator on Uklina.” Most likely, the events mentioned in the legends took place in 1831. At that time, a terrible cholera epidemic raged in Transcarpathia. Most of the inhabitants of the village of Uklyn died from the epidemic. The survivors decided to establish a village in a new place on the opposite bank of the Latoritsa River. They moved only the old church of Saints Peter and Paul of the 18th century from their village.
Only three similar style wooden churches have survived in Zakarpattia (Rakhiv, Kostrynska Roztoka, Tarasivtsi). A similar church also existed in the village of Domashin of the Velikobereznya district. It was the youngest among similar churches. It was built in 1907, and in 2007 it was destroyed, and a new one was built in its place.
The Uklyn church is the oldest among the group of small wooden churches Transcarpathia. Initially, it was covered with wood shavings. In 2002, it was restored and the roof was covered with shingles. The bells of this temple were transferred to the new church, which was built in 1992.
Currently, the Peter and Paul Church in the village of Uklyn is closed and is not used for its intended purpose.