This 29th mini-sculpture was opened in Uzhgorod December 2, 2017. It was placed in front of the entrance to the building of the former zhupanat, where it is located today Art Museum. Bokshay (GPS: 48.624976, 22.296660). From bronze cast Gregory Zhatkovich (1920-1921) – the first Governor of Subcarpathian Russia, one of the five lands that were part of the first Czechoslovak Republic, which existed from 1919 to 1938. Later it was named “Carpatho-Ukraine“.The sculpture of the Governor sitting on a bell was unveiled by Mikhail Kolodko together with one of the first governors of Transcarpathia after the Declaration of Independence Ukraine Sergei Ivanovich Ustice.
Gregory Zatkovic was born in Transcarpathia, and at the age of 5, he moved to USA, where he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania school of law. In 1918, at the head of the American people’s Rada, prusiniv negotiated with the 28th President of the United States, Woodrow Wilson, and the future President Czechoslovakia Tomasz Masaryk. Initiated a plebiscite among American countrymen, the results of which confirmed the desire of the majority (67%) to Annex Transcarpathia to the Czechoslovak Republic.
On September 10, 1919, Transcarpathia became part of the Czechoslovak Republic. February 29, 1920 in the Constitution of Czechoslovakia appeared the official name of the province-Subcarpathian Rus. At the same time it was created and coat of arms of Transcarpathia, and the first Governor was appointed Gregory Zhatkovych. However, he renounced the governorship after 1921, protesting against the Czechs ‘ failure to grant autonomy to Transcarpathia.
During the Czechoslovak Republic Uzhgorod received modern architecture and cultural excellence, in 1929 it was built here that the first Transcarpathia airport.
An interesting legend is dedicated to a mini-sculpture of Ratkovich says in his book “Uzhgorod – the world capital of sculptures” Hope popadiuk. According to this legend, the opening of the airport in Uzhgorod was timed to the birthday of Grigory Zhatkovich (December 2, 1886) and the proclamation of freedom Day in Uzhgorod (December 2, 1920). On the same day, the city opened a symbolic mini-sculpture of the birthday boy, depicting Grigory Zhatkovich with wings on the “Liberty Bell” – the main symbol of the American history of the struggle for independence from great Britain. They placed a bronze mini-Governor in front of the entrance to the zhupanat (today the Transcarpathian regional art Museum named after Y. bokshay). A local sculptor reproduced a crack on a mini-replica of the legendary bell and minted words from the Bible: “And proclaim liberty throughout the land to all the inhabitants thereof!”.
The original “Liberty Bell” bell is located in Philadelphia (USA), its height is 1 meter, and the weight is about 943 kilograms, and there were several cracks on it. In the bell, as and before, they call very carefully and only on independence Day.
Ми шкодуємо, що ця стаття не виявилася корисною для вас!
Давайте покращимо цю статтю!
Розкажіть, як ми можемо покращити цю статтю?