The tallest building in the city of Berehove is the church on Ferenc Rakoci Square. This temple appeared in the 12th century. The history of the shrine is connected with a fabulous legend about the founding of the city. It tells about a shepherd named Sas and his fearsome bulls. After another “bullfight” on the banks of the Virke River, where the temple now stands, Sas found a pot of gold on a place trampled by cattle. With this money, the shepherd built a church over the river. Hence, apparently, the name of the city: “Bereg-sas”. The troops of Khan Batia destroyed both the city and the shrine in 1241.