Mukachevo is a district center in the Central part of Transcarpathia, an ancient city known since 896 (chronicle of Anonymous). The population is more than 80 thousand inhabitants. Mukachevo is the second largest city in the Transcarpathian region, and it is not inferior in the number of attractions Uzhgorod. A city where representatives of different cultures have lived side by side for centuries nationalities’ and culture (since Mukachevo was located at the crossroads of trade routes), as a result, it received its own distinct identity.
The documentary history of Mukachevo dates back to the IX century, but archaeologists found it on the outskirts of the city Celtic the metallurgical center is the second largest in Europe! This means that the history of the city began long before the first mention in documents. Mukachevo lies on the banks of the Latoritsa river, in places where there are Volcanic Carpathians and the Transcarpathian plain. The city stands at the crossroads of international routes: the Kiev-Rome and Kiev-Vienna railway lines run through it, as well as the Kiev-Prague and Kiev-Vienna highways.
Mukachevo received the status of a privileged city in 1376 from the hands of Queen Elizabeth, and in 1445 the city received Magdeburg rights. In those days, the city was famous for its well-fed pigs. Paragraph 15 of the state law of 1518 States that Mukachevo is obliged to provide fat to the kings of Hungary. In the XVII century from the city of Nodbani Hungarian kings moved to Mukachevo mint, which operated in 1627-1713. For this tasty piece of Transcarpathia for several centuries, the rulers of Austria and Transylvanian princes fought. And in the time of the princes Rakoczy the city of Mukachevo even received the status of the capital-however, not for long (1633-1711). Continued time on the city was owned by counts Sanborni – and the city was freed from this feudal dependence only after the revolution of 1848. In 1886, a railroad ran through the city, which gave it a new impetus for development.
After the collapse Habsburg empire the Hungarian government, by law No. 10 of 21 December 1918, proclaimed the creation of a semi-Autonomous Russian Country with its capital in Mukachevo. But in April 1919 the city was occupied Romanian вand soon it became part of Czechoslovakia. Czech the period was distinguished by a new reconstruction of the city. Before the renovation of Mukachevo, Czech architects and engineers were involved. The General urban plan, designed by the engineer Cipariem, changed the city for the better. Many remarkable buildings in the constructivist style appeared just then (children’s hospital, polyclinic, former teachers ‘Institute, shopping arcade of the company “Latoritsa”, residential buildings for officials and officers). At the same time, the riverbed of Latoritsa was settled, and on its left Bank planted dendropark.
For centuries, Mukachevo and Uzhgorod were not only neighboring cities, but also rivals. To this day, the spiritual authorities of almost all faiths are located on the banks of Latorica, not on the banks of the river. Uzha. Uzhgorod attracted more officials, and Mukachevo-merchants and officers. Still visible on the facades of houses in Mukachevo are old advertising signs of shops that existed here in the times of Hungary or the Czech Republic. In Soviet times, Mukachevo was a major military center.