Detailed description of the Church of St Michael the Archangel in Bukovets village
The church complex was built in 1808, as evidenced by the inscription carved on the door frame. The church is a three-storeyed building. The nave log is almost square in shape. The altar is adjacent to it on the east side, and the narthex on the west side. These logs are narrower than the nave log. The Babinets and the nave are under one high roof, to which the lower roof of the altar adjoins. A massive square tower dominating the building rises above the Babinets, which has a two-tiered Baroque ending with a flattened faceted dome. A canopy, which rests on the outriggers of the log cabins, protects the lower part of the church from rain around the entire perimeter of the building. The main façade is decorated with a porch gallery that has not yet been remodelled, and arcades of the choir stalls.
The interior has wonderful examples of folk carvings, some of which date back to the earlier church. The inscription on the altar tells us the names of the carvers: Isavka Cherepanych and Ivan Baranyshynets completed the work on 29 April 1760. The role of the right deacon’s door is played by the royal gate from the older church. Several individual icons also come from the old iconostasis.
Next to the church, on a hill ledge a little further from the church, is a wooden square two-tiered bell tower. Around the log cabin of the lower tier there is a porch. In 2008, the church was painted burgundy.