A detailed overview of the Church of St Basil the Great (Kosiv)
In Soviet times, in 1961, the church stopped holding services, and in 1963, it was banned from being used for these purposes. In 1969, the church opened a museum of Hutsul folk art and life, based on the private collection of the Sahaidachnyks. Only in 1990 was the church returned to the Greek Catholic community of the city.
Unfortunately, the shrine could not be preserved in its original form, as it burned down in a fire in 2009. After the fire, only the bell tower, 1/3 of the iconostasis, icons, embroidery, lamps, the kyot and antimension, as well as the image and relics of the Lebanese saint and miracle worker Charbel survived.
In 2011, the church of St Basil the Great was completely recreated based on drawings and photographs kept by Polish teachers and students who came to the church for practice.
Next to the church is a monument to the fighters for the freedom of Ukraine. It is based on a list of names of local residents who died for their country from 1939 to 1952.
Nowadays, the Church of St Basil the Great belongs to the Greek Catholic community of Kosiv, and services are held there regularly. Entrance to the church is free.