A detailed description of the ancient shrine in the village of Uhlya
The Odarev tract, where the church from Kolodne once stood, is located next to the ancient Ugolsky Monastery, the oldest monastery in Transcarpathia. It is just a few kilometres north of Kolodne, near the village of Mala Uholka.
The monks arrived in Transcarpathia with their disciples Cyril and Methodius. The remote mountainous areas of the region were ideal for the monastery and the quiet life of the monks. There is a description of the then male Uholskyi Monastery from 1558, when the ambassadors of the Moscow Tsar Ivan IV the Terrible were returning from Constantinople. The medieval diplomats liked the local mineral waters. In a letter to the tsar, they mentioned three springs near the monastery: sour, sweet and salty.
Today it is the Assumption Orthodox Convent, where the grave of Bishop Dosyfei Feodorovich, who died in 1734 while imprisoned in Khust castle. The Assumption Cathedral of the Ugolsky Monastery was built in 1993.