First name of the village Uzhok Of the velikobereznyansky district Transcarpathian region is found in written documents of the XVI century. At the beginning of the XVII century, the village was deleted from the statistical reports, because the plague killed all the inhabitants. It was only after a few decades, when the horrors of reverence began to be forgotten, that people appeared again in these places.
The fact that by the beginning of the XVIII century, the village was successfully revived, is evidenced by the fact that in 1745 the Christian community of the village was able to build a good wooden church, which has been preserved to this day (GPS: 48°5858.512″ 22°5155.062″). The Church was built and consecrated on June 11, 1745. This is evidenced by an old carved inscription on the jamb. The Church was built in Boykov style мAstras Pavel Toniv from the neighboring village of Bitlya on the Lviv side of the Carpathians and Ivan Tsyganin from the village of Tychy (near Uzhka). Main building material there were large spruce beams for the temple.
In 1927, in the North-Western part of the churchyard next to the temple, a small, rather typical for Transcarpathia, two-tiered bell tower was installed, which replaced the old one.
The temple is outwardly simple and unpretentious in form, it does not have any expressive and bright decorative details. Nevertheless, it is slender and refined. It is no accident that his silhouette is present in the paintings of almost everyone painters’ Transcarpathian school of painting. It is loved by photographers. It is dominated by the horizontal division of the tops-towers. The wide apprehension that covers the entire building gives it a compact appearance and is a key element in the organic transition from the environment to the main part of the temple that grows above the gallery.
Bell I’m a hundred years older than him. The roof of the temple is covered with shingles-specially carved wooden planks, 30 cm long and 10 cm wide. To protect from water and rot, the roof of the temple is covered with a special substance every two years. In addition, this Church was built without a single nail.
Inside the Church, icons and old printed books of the XVII century are preserved and the authentic altar – XVIII-th.
In the interior of the temple, the masters used the contrast of light and shadow. Passing from the dark “Babinets” to the bright Central part of the temple, a person perceives this space is much larger than it actually is. This effect was definitely taken into account talented folk architects. The impression is enhanced by a surprisingly beautiful carved iconostasis with shining gilt.
Cultural and historical value St. Michael’s Church recognized at the international level. On June 21, 2013, it was added to the UNESCO world Heritage list.
Ми шкодуємо, що ця стаття не виявилася корисною для вас!
Давайте покращимо цю статтю!
Розкажіть, як ми можемо покращити цю статтю?