A brief history of Zhdeniyevo
The village of Zhdeniyevo was first mentioned in historical sources back in 1598. According to legend, it was founded by peasants who fled from Galicia. Initially, they settled in the part of the village that is now called Kotelnytsia. Over time, they settled in a larger area along the Zhdenivka river valley. Throughout its history, the village changed its name several times, depending on whether it was part of a particular state. The Hungarians called Zhdeniyevo Szarvasháza, which means “the house of the deer”. In the 1920s and 1930s, the Czechs, who ruled Transcarpathia, was called Žďeňovo/Ždeňová. The modern name of the village of Zhdeniyevo was officially approved in 1971. The name Zhdeniyevo is sometimes used in everyday life. However, officially, until 1971, the settlement was called Zhdeneve by the Soviet authorities.
In the XVII century, Zhdeniyevo was a part of the Chinadievo dominion and was owned by the Bruchinich family. After the Kuruca uprising in 1703-1711, the village was transferred to the ownership of the counts of Schönborn in 1728 and belonged to the Lower Vereka economy of their possessions. During their reign, a forestry administration was opened in Zhdeniyiv, and several stone buildings were constructed, including a two-storey house that resembled a castle. Two stone houses from the 18th century have survived to this day.
The Schönborns actively developed forestry in Zhdeniyevo. In 1840-1843, a small sawmill was built here on their initiative. A little later, in 1889, a large steam sawmill was opened in Zhdeniyevo. This enterprise, equipped with the most modern machinery, employed up to one and a half hundred workers. Up to 25 thousand cubic metres of timber were processed here per year. The company employed 147 workers. Among them were both local residents and German colonists.
The development of forestry in Zhdeniyevo continued actively during the Czechoslovakian (1920s-1930s) and Soviet periods of its history.
After Ukraine gained its independence in 1991, the village’s tourism potential began to develop. Nowadays, Zhdeniyevo has become a popular resort visited by thousands of tourists every year.