At a distance of approximately 20 kilometers to the north-west of Vynogradov, on the banks of the Borzhava River, there is the village of Shalanky, Berehiv District, Zakarpattia Oblast . The population of the village is more than 3 thousand people. Most of the inhabitants of the village are ethnic Hungarians (89.6% according to the 2001 census). Although the first written mention of it dates back to 1262, people settled here as early as the 4th millennium BC. – archaeologists discovered the remains of a Neolithic settlement at this place. In the 17th and 18th centuries, Shalanky had the status of a town and used its own coat of arms: a silver wolf’s jaw with three teeth on a red background. This image was borrowed from the coat of arms of the Bathory family of Transylvanian princes, who were associated with the history of Shalanky.