The tallest building in the city of Berehove is the church on Ferenc Rakoci Square. This temple appeared in the 12th century. The history of the shrine is connected with a fabulous legend about the founding of the city. It tells about a shepherd named Sas and his fearsome bulls. After another “bullfight” on the banks of the Virke River, where the temple now stands, Sas found a pot of gold on a place trampled by cattle. With this money, the shepherd built a church over the river. Hence, apparently, the name of the city: “Bereg-sas”. The troops of Khan Batia destroyed both the city and the shrine in 1241. However, in 1370, a new Gothic church was built on the same site. The old baroque entrance to the church, which grew into the ground, has been preserved to this day from that time. And the bell tower of the temple once also served as an observation point.