According to legend a daughter is related to the establishment of the monastery Yaroslav The Wise Anastasia. In the distant XI century she passed through our region with her husband’s retinue king of Hungary Endre I.
Historical sources confirm the fact that at the end of the XIV century, the Prince Fedor Koryatovich rebuilt an existing one monastery and built it here wooden church. According to legend, once on a hunting trip, Prince Fyodor Koryatovich was the victim of an attack by a predatory beast. The Prince prayed to God to save him, and in return vowed to build a monastery. Immediately after the prayer, the Prince escaped from the clutches of the beast,and escaped. Fyodor Koryatovich did not forget his oath and actually built a monastery on the same place where he fought with the fierce beast.
In 1491 the monastery sacred nikolay in Mukachevo it became the residence of an Orthodox Bishop. After the adoption In 1646, the monastery of St. Nicholas played an important role in promoting Uniatism in the Uzhgorod Greek Catholic Union. In 1751, the Basilians took possession of the monastery complex. In the Nicholas monastery, the Basilians managed to collect a huge number of old printed books and ancient handwritten books. In addition, the monastery kept its own chronicle.
After the incorporation of Transcarpathia into the Ukrainian SSR the valuable library of the monastery was confiscated by the Soviet authorities and transferred to the newly opened monastery Uzhgorod state University. In addition, in 1947, the monastery itself was taken from the Basilians and handed over to Orthodox nuns. The Basilian monks, who at that time numbered 33, were forced to leave the monastery. The Soviet authorities allowed each monk to take only one plate, spoon and pillow from the monastery.
From the Foundation to 1661, all the buildings of the monastery were wooden, and in 1661 a stone Church was built here rotunda (the author of the project-S. Drunkenness). Unfortunately, the building was dismantled in the XIX century.
Today, on the territory of the monastery, such historical and architectural monuments as the Church of St. Nicholas in stylistics classicism (1789-1804), two-story cells in the Baroque style (1766-1772), a Baroque fence with towers (XVII century) and old distillery. In the Church of St. Nicholas preserved examples of sacred paintings of the XIX-XX centuries. The Church also contains the grave of the monastery Builder Dmitry Ratz (1710-1782).
Ми шкодуємо, що ця стаття не виявилася корисною для вас!
Давайте покращимо цю статтю!
Розкажіть, як ми можемо покращити цю статтю?