In the small village of Danilovo Khust district Transcarpathian region with a population of 1,800 inhabitants is the highest of all the Gothic wooden churches in Transcarpathian region – Mykolayiv. He the tower, which is covered with Lemesh, has a height of as much as 35 meters. Built this unique church in 1779, when most of the neighboring villages already had similar ones temples, so the masters had something to take as an example of a harmonious composition. About the date constructions it resembles the inscription on the door of a Shrine. In 2005 the Nicholas Church was transferred Greek-Catholic a community that hasn’t held a service here since 1920. After a long break, Greek Catholics held the first service in this city temple April 3, 2005, when the entire world said goodbye to Pope John Paul II.
Just below the main entrance to the temple is a stone cross, installed in 1914 on the money of villagers who emigrated to America.
Back in the 1980s, you could see the frescoes made in 1828 by Joseph Kronmayer. But because of the rainwater that seeped through the leaky roof, the paintings faded. From the altar of the XVIII century in the Baroque style there are only fragments (nine icons). Belfry stands next to me. It is used by the Orthodox religious community, whose new Church looks down on the exquisite wooden miracle.
There was once a rural cemetery around the temple. Behind the Church is the grave of the priest Eugene Azaria, who served in the Church until 1920. He, a father of seven children, was tortured by the locals «Bolsheviks»,those who returned from revolutionary Russia are full of Communist ideas. And his descendants were waiting for Stalin’s camps and Siberia.
In 2011-2012, the Nicholas Church and bell tower, which is located nearby, have been restored. Every year this masterpiece attracts tourists who are interested in monument of wooden sacred architecture.
Ми шкодуємо, що ця стаття не виявилася корисною для вас!
Давайте покращимо цю статтю!
Розкажіть, як ми можемо покращити цю статтю?